When trying to lose weight, there’s a common misconception that you need to eat less. Well, while you need to reduce your calorie intake, you can still enjoy three meals a day with some snacks. The trick is to get the best foods for each of your meals.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It helps to add fuel after a long fast overnight and will aid in boosting the metabolism and reducing your morning blood sugar. This is also the best way to sustain your body until lunch time.
The idea for weight loss is that you eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper. The meals get smaller throughout the day due to their importance.
So, what can you eat for breakfast to help your weight loss? Here are seven ideal breakfasts to use this week.
Start with a Banana Cream Pie Smoothie
Who said that being on a diet meant that you had to eat food that tastes of nothing? That’s certainly not the case here! Being on a diet doesn’t mean you must forget you ever had a life. You don’t need to cut out the food that is the most delicious for you.
This banana cream pie smoothie will bring you the taste of dessert on a morning. You’ll instantly feel like you’ve had something naughty, but it’s good for you. There’s this feeling of something sugary that will put an instant smile on your face. When you start the day right, the rest of it will be much easier.
The smoothie is also something that you can take on the go and takes just minutes to make. You can even make it up the night before and store it in the fridge. There will never be an excuse to skip breakfast again.
- 1 ripe banana, frozen
- 1 cup of natural Greek yogurt
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup of milk – a milk alternative will be better for weight loss
- Graham crackers, crushed for garnishing
- 3-4 ice cubes, if your blender can handle this
- Combine everything except the Graham crackers together in a blender and blend until smooth
- Sprinkle the Graham crackers when it comes to serving
It is that easy to get a delicious breakfast that tastes like a treat. You can add a little bit of lemon juice if you’d like to add a bit more of a tangy to your banana cream pie.
Keep It Simple with Overnight Raspberry Muesli
Sometimes you need a recipe that is one you can plan. You want to be able to grab it and leave on a morning without any hassle – eating when you get the chance. If you travel on public transport and eat breakfast on the go, you’ll need something that isn’t going to make others feel ill with the scent. This is where this recipe comes into play.
It’s a fresh recipe with raspberries that will fill your body with antioxidants. This is one that you make the night before. Just make sure you grab a spoon before you leave for your journey!
- ½ cup of raspberries
- 1tbsp almonds, chopped
- ½ cup of oats
- ¾ cup of vanilla Greek yogurt
- Mix the yogurt and oats in a bowl and place in the fridge overnight
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients just before serving
Alternatively, you can opt for layering this overnight. Add the oats at the bottom, with the raspberries and almonds next. Place the yogurt on the top. Overnight, the yogurt will work its way down into the oats, making them creamy and delicious. Mixing the oats before storing overnight can leave them a little soggy.
Try Out Weight Loss Friendly Breakfast Burritos
Now it’s time to add something more filling to your morning. The filling doesn’t mean fattening. These delicious burritos will give you the protein and fiber that you need to keep you full until lunch time.
If you’re on the Weight Watchers diet, the burritos are low in Smart Points, giving you plenty of points left for the rest of the day!
- 2tsp oil of choice
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 garlic clove,crushed
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup of cheese, grated
- 2tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 tortilla wraps
- ½ cup of sour cream
- ½ cup of salsa
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease a baking dish with cooking spray or oil
- Heat your oil in a skillet and add in the onions, peppers, tomatoes, and garlic, cooking for 5 minutes
- Stir in the eggs and egg whites, cooking for about 3-5 minutes until the eggs are cooked as you like
- Remove from the heat and add in the cheese, herbs, and seasoning
- Place your tortilla wraps on a plate, adding a quarter of the filling into each one
- Wrap the tortillas and place them fold down in the baking dish and then bake for 10 minutes
- Serve with the salsa and sour cream
This won’t take long on a morning, so they are good for the school run. However, they tend to be preferred on a lazy Sunday when you have more time to enjoy them as a family. The kids will love this burrito, not even realise that they’re eating low-fat food.
Enjoy Your Breakfast with Apple and Cinnamon Pancakes
Who said that you couldn’t have pancakes on a diet? They’re considered back for you. After all, Pancake Day is set so that people would get rid of their sweet ingredients when it came to giving them up for Lent. The truth is that pancakes don’t need to be unhealthy.
This recipe makes it very clear that you can have pancakes on a diet. They are made with whole wheat flour because that is better than white flour for fiber. However, you can switch to almond or coconut flour if you’d like.
- ¾ cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/2tbsp baking powder
- 2tbsp sugar substitute
- 1/2tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup of milk – an alternative is good for weight loss
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- 1/3 cup of applesauce
- Mix the flour, baking powder, sweetener, and cinnamon together in a bowl
- Mix the milk, egg white, and applesauce in another bowl
- Stir the flour into the egg mixture, removing all lumps and creating a thick batter
- Spoon the batter into a heated skillet and cook until your pancakes bubble on one side
- Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown on both sides
You can serve plain, or you can add some fruit for the topping. If you’d like a bit of extra sweetness, opt for honey or maple syrup for some natural sugar.
Homemade Eggs Benedict for a Little Extra Effort
We know that Eggs Benedict is good for weight loss. The problem is that it seems difficult to make. We steer away from things that are usually eaten in a restaurant because we’re not too sure of the steps.
It’s time to get rid of the fear. You can make this delicious weight loss friendly breakfast recipe right now.
- 1tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of bacon
- ¼ cup of natural Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup of mayo
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1/2tsp lemon zest
- 2tsp butter
- 2 English muffins (wholegrain is better), toasted
- 1 tomato, cut into 4 slices
- Add the vinegar to some boiling water in a pan and reduce the heat to a simmer
- Break the eggs into the water, and poach them for about 4 minutes
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and set to one side to drain
- In a skillet, add the bacon and cook for a minute on each side until warm
- Whisk the yogurt, mayo, mustard, and lemon juice and zest in a bowl and place in the microwave for 30 seconds
- Stir in the butter until it melts
- Add your tomato, bacon, and egg on top of each English muffin half
- Drizzle with some of the sauce and serve!
This is one of those breakfasts for the weekend when everyone gets to savor every mouthful. Your kids will want it repeatedly!
Blueberry Muffins for Those On-the-Go Breakfasts
Now it’s time for something that you can make ahead of time. These muffins can be stored for up to a week in an airtight container, giving you something healthy to grab on a morning when you’re all in a rush. They’re super tasty, and the kids won’t even think about eating diet food!
- 2 ¼ cups of flour, divided
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda and salt
- 1 cup of sugar, divided
- 2tbsp butter, melted
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup of sour cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of milk of choice, divided
- 2 cups of blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line your muffin tray with liners
- Mix 2 cups of flour with the baking powder and soda and the salt in a bowl and put to one side
- Combine the rest of the flour and ¼ cup of the sugar in another bowl and pour in the melted butter to create a crumbly topping for your muffins
- Beat your egg with the rest of the sugar until it’s fluffy
- Add in the sour cream and combine through beating
- Stir in the extract and then start adding in the dry ingredients and the milk – alternating half and half until combined
- Fold in the blueberries and pour the mixture into the muffing liners
- Sprinkle the topping and bake for 30-35 minutes
You’ll know the muffins are done by sticking a toothpick into the middle of them. The toothpick should come out clean.
Make No-Bake Granola Bars with Chocolate and Peanut Butter
When you want something quick and easy, you want to make some no-bake granola bars. This recipe is completely gluten-free and can be made with a vegan twist. If you are allergic to nuts, you can replace the peanut butter with a seed butter instead! opt for the smooth butter rather than a crunchy one!
- 2/3 cups of corn syrup or brown rice syrup
- ½ cup of peanut butter
- ¼ cup of light brown sugar
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder
- 1 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cups of oats
- 2 cups of rice cereal, like Rice Krispies
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
- Line your pan with foil or parchment paper and put to one side
- Mix the syrup, peanut butter, and sugar in a bowl and put in the microwave for a minute on high power
- Stir and place back in the microwave for another minute
- Add in the vanilla and cocoa (with salt if using it) and whisk
- Stir in the oats
- Add a cup of the rice cereal and stir slowly to avoid crushing the cereal
- Add in the second cup slowly – you may not need the whole amount if the mixture starts to become dry
- Add three-quarters of the chocolate chips and combine
- Pour the mixture over the pan, patting down firmly
- Sprinkle over the rest of the chocolate chips and pat them down lightly
- Cover with a sheet of foil and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours or the freezer for 1 hour
Slice the bar up into the portions that you want, and they are ready to serve. You can store them in an airtight container for a few days. They’re best in the fridge to remain hard and ready to eat!